Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Multitasking: Friend or Foe

I remember the good o' days when life seemed so simple and uncluttered...and then I grew up. I went from literally having nothing to do to always having something I could be working on (but whether I actually choose to do something is another story). As our lives become busier and technology continues to improve, we have come up for a solution to getting things done: multitasking. On the plus side, you get a lot of things done and feel accomplished when you cross them off your to-do list, but then (pause) it gets nasty (and not the good nasty either). I recently found myself, engaging in this addictive habit by watching TV, browsing clothing websites online, texting with my sister, and checking my FB/e-mail/second e-mail/iCal plus writing an updated version of my next to-do list. Not cute people, not cute. I literally stopped mid-scribble and was like W-T-F. Even though I was doing everything that I felt needed to get done, I came to the realization that I can't do one thing at a time or else I start feeling like I am wasting my time. If you think I am exaggerating, next time you watch something on TV don't do anything else but watch it...not even check your phone (gasp!). While multitasking is a trait that is admired by many (especially the workforce), I feel that people need to start making a conscious effort to enjoy the little things in life one at a time. Trust me I am nowhere near cured but instead of doing a billion things at once, I try to maybe do two--eat and watch TV. I do have to say, so far so good; plus, I actually know what I am watching is about lol. So is multitasking a friend or foe---I think it's more of a fenemy :)

--Bev

1 comment:

  1. Multitasking is evil..Don't go to the dark side. I am anti all that NOISE. That is what it is NOISE.. I know I sound old but no, I like peace and harmony.. I am a Libra after all.. Its all about balance. Do one thing and do it well rather than many things half A$$ed..
    Alex

    ReplyDelete