Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Confessions of a Caffeine Addict

One of the most terrifying, gut-clenching experiences I have ever had occurred this past Monday. Here is the 411:

The location: UCSD's Goody's Place & Market @ 8:32am
The victim: Bev
The incident: Starbucks espresso machine out of order

..."NOOOOOOOOOOO! How can they do this to ME!" That was my initial reaction. After the initial shock, I went onto full-fledged panic. Mind you, I had hardly slept the night before, had a midterm at 7pm, and was busy all day long. I honestly didn't know what the universe had against me that it refused to let me be in a state of consciousness during the day. So I did what any normal addict would do...deny that I HAD to have coffee to function and went to my classes. And this is what went through my mind during the lectures:

9-10am_Critical Gender Studies: "I can do this. So the girl next to me has a nice venti coffee and I can smell the wonderful aroma of hazelnut...NOT the end of the world."

10-11am_Econometrics: "JUDGMENT DAY. It has finally arrived. I don't care that my professor has a hot New Zealander accent, I am about to pass out! Oh God please make the pain go away " *tear, tear*

At 11am I had a break and I halled ass to the nearest coffee cart. I ordered a Hammer Head (bold coffee with express0) and dove into the wonderful world of caffeine and bliss. I have to be honest; it kind of creeped me out how euphoric I felt after a few sips of coffee...then I quickly got over it because I could function again :)

So, what is the lesson I learned from this earth-shaking experience? Buy Starbucks instant coffee sticks and carry them in my purse! This way caffeine will always be a cup of hot water away; plus, what place doesn't have hot water? Hey, don't judge me...I promised for better and for worst lol.

Your Wiser Friend,
Bev

2 comments:

  1. and who was that wonderful little lady that gave you one of her three coffee thingies?! hahaha I got yo back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bev you are cracking me up.. Do I need to buy you a personal coffee maker for Christmas? You can brew your own SBUX at home.. Yes, Its good I promise..Would one coffee addict lie to another? Not when it comes to Coffee.. remember this is the person who worked there for 3 months just to see how to work the expresso machine... Verona is my favorite with Guatamlan a close second..
    I know what you mean about functioning.. It doesnt smell like the day until I get my cup.. Money not growing on trees and all I can only treat myself to Lattes when I have some extra mula.. or I get bday gift cards..
    Anyhoo.. good luck with the midterm!
    Hugs,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete